Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Gran & Christmas cookies

My grandmother, "Gran" (technically, she was my step-mom's mom) got married to Gramps ...

And Gramps, of German descent, asked her their first Christmas together, "when are you going to start making Christmas cookies?"

She said, "what do you mean?"
He said, "you know, cookies you make at Christmas time."

Gran: I know, but what are they?
Gramps: Uhh...

He thought about it for quite a while to remember what was in his childhood... (his mother had been gone for a while at that point maybe, and he didn't have recipes I guess?)

So then he started describing some cookies to Gran. And I think she searched around and looked in cookbooks and asked friends... and came up with a compilation of Christmas cookies.

One really neat thing about my grandparents was they did everything they could to make each other happy. And I understand it now -- how important that is in a marriage.

Gran already loved to bake and was quite an accomplished baker. (I wish I had realized this when she was still around. What is it with kids who take their family for granted???)

So she took to making Christmas cookies with zeal. She made at least 15 types every Christmas.

My step-mom [Mom] and I can't quite hope to accomplish all that she did, so we have our favorites and make those every year.

Gramps really loved the Cherry Winks, so Mom used to make those for him as long as he stuck around. But he passed away last year the day before Thanksgiving. If I find the Cherry Wink recipe, I'll post it.

My favorite was always the Cathedral Windows. Mom doesn't know why I like them, she doesn't think they have much flavor. I love color! And they are always the prettiest cookies at any Christmas party on the plate. :) :)

And of course the Holly Berry Drops are really pretty on Christmas plates too - they are green! Last year for kicks I made a batch with a little cinnamon in the marshmallow and I added red food coloring instead of green. It was really great to have those on the Christmas plate too.


Mom's favorite are the Chow Mein Noodle Candy.

Last year I think I made about 6 batches in 4 weeks of those. And my 3 brothers & dad ate them so fast, we had none for Christmas!!

This year I've made 3 types already, and I am hoping to make the fudge again - that was really yummy! I also want to make the ginger cookies I have to find the recipe for then post on here...

Also, I need to post the cinnamon ice cream recipe and link where I got it from too...

Merry Christmas!!

No comments: