Friday, November 27, 2009

Ginger Creams

While I don't have a memory of my grandmother making these for Christmas cookies, my step-mom does. (My grandmother's daughter.) (Gran is my step-mom's mom.) So I made these in 2006 for Christmas because they said "ginger" in the title. And I had a hankering for a ginger cookie. They were so so so good! I made them for a church function. And I told my mom "I made those over there" and she said, "I know - I recognized them." So I guess I made them just like her mom used to make them!! Very cool!! :)

They are uber-yummy also. So while the Cathedral Window cookies used to be my favorite, these Ginger Creams are my new favorite. The Cathedral Window cookies are about the prettiest thing anyone can find on a Christmas cookie plate. But my step-mom and my family say they are bland tasting. I don't really think they are bland. But they are basically marshmallows and chocolate. No complex flavor there.

Since I'm the only one who wolfs the Cathedral Window cookies, I have officially decided* not to make them this year. I lost a lot of weight in 2008, and I can't be the only one eating any of the cookies. (I want to keep the weight off!) In 2006-07 I gained about 10 lbs between Halloween and New Years. I don't want to do THAT again!)

*"decided" is subject to change as Christmas starts approaching.

Without further adieu:

Ginger Creams
-----------------------------------------


Ingredients:
1/4 C shortening
1/2 C sugar
1 egg
1/2 C molasses
2 C flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 C water

Cream together shortening and sugar. Add egg, beating well. Stir in molasses. Sift together dry ingredients; add them alternately to creamed mixture and water. Bake 8 minutes at 400 degrees. Frost with confectioners icing. Yield 3 dozen.
Compliments of Dorothy Wendt.

------------------------------------

Notes by Jodi:

Cream together shortening and sugar in mixer set on lowest setting. Add egg, beating well. Stir in molasses. Whisk dry ingredients together in large bowl if you don’t have a sifter (I don’t). Add them to the creamed mixture of shortening and sugar, alternating adding them with adding water to the creamed mixture. Drop by small spoonfuls onto aluminum covered baking cookie sheets. (Small, because they spread out tremendously while baking to produce very large cookies.) Bake 8 minutes at 400 degrees F. Frost with Vanilla icing – pre-packaged is fine. Otherwise, read the confectioner’s sugar box for the buttercream frosting (a standard recipe on the side of the confectioner’s sugar box.)

2 comments:

wide-eyed innocent said...

Thanks for posting this (and for linking to it from Facebook!). Alhumdullah, there aren't any ingredients I can't find here in Morocco. I think I'll make these for 3id al-Adha, the Holiday of the Sacrifice, which will be celebrated Saturday. My host family has a big sweet tooth, and they love cookies, so... :)

Jodi C. said...

How did it go? I only just saw your comment and I am truly sorry if it took me time to reply. Did you find the ingredients?