Monday, November 30, 2009

Cathedral Window Cookies


Note: This year (2009) - these are Jareth's favorite too!!

Ingredients:
1/4 lb - Margarine
12 oz - Chocolate Chips
1 cup - Chopped Walnuts (optional)
12 oz - Colored Mini Marshmallows
7 oz - Grated Coconut (optional)

Heat margarine and chocolate chips in the top pan of a double boiler over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Cool slightly. Put marshmallows and nuts in a large bowl. Stir in chocolate. Tear five 9-inch sheets of waxed paper and sprinkle each generously with coconut. Divide dough into fifths and place each fifth on a sheet of waxed paper. Roll tightly into 2-inch diameter logs and refrigerate overnight. Before serving, unwrap from waxed paper and cut into 1/2" slices.

Makes about 60 pieces.

-----------------------------------------------

Be it hereby known that every year when my grandmother came with her ENORMOUS tins FULL of Christmas cookies, these were ALWAYS the first ones I went digging for.

As years march on, I find it more & more difficult to find the colored mini-marshmallows. I either have to spend lots of money & buy them online, or else Shopper's Food Warehouse sometimes stocks them and; I can find them - but I never shop there so I have to remember & then make a special trip to buy 4 or 5 bags...

These are always the prettiest Christmas cookie on the plate. My mom is not a fan. She thinks they are bland. I think they taste like chocolate and marshmallows. Could it get anymore blissful than "beautiful" with "chocolate and marshmallows"? I mean, put it in between graham crackers & you've got a S'More.

No comments: