Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Cathedral Windows

Ingredients:

1/4 lb - Margarine

12 oz - Chocolate Chips

1 cup - Chopped Walnuts

12 oz - Colored Mini Marshmallows

7 oz - Grated Coconut (optional)



Heat margarine and chocolate chips in the top pan of a double boiler over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Cool slightly. Put marshmallows and nuts in a large bowl. Stir in chocolate.

Tear five 9-inch sheets of waxed paper and sprinkle each generously with coconut. Divide dough into fifths and place each fifth on a sheet of waxed paper. Roll tightly into 2-inch diameter logs and refrigerate overnight. Before serving, unwrap from waxed paper and cut into 1/2" slices.

Makes about 60 pieces.

--------------------------

We can't find the one my grandmother used to make, so I searched online to find a similar recipe last year. I found this one & made them. The cookies came out about the same. Same taste. I don't add the walnuts or coconut. My grandmother also used to make these in a glass baking pan - square - so the windows came out rectangular with a sprinkling of coconut on top. This recipe is for round cookies with coconut all over. I don't use the coconut, and I like the ease of the waxed paper. So this recipe is good enough for me. :)

No comments: