Friday, December 02, 2011

Oma's Lasagne

This is my Mum's lasagne recipe.  I remember her making it when I was a little girl.  She made it for a dormitory of girls when we lived in Princeton, NJ.  And she also made this when she was a chef in Princeton at a restaurant, and for various restaurants in Northern Virginia when she lived there too.  She's also made it for me on special occasions.  I see her about once every decade (I'm not joking - we never see each other) - and so my mum makes her lasagne for me approx once every 10 years.  I've had it about 4 times in my life. Now, I have the recipe, and it turns out I've gone vegan.  But hopefully others will enjoy!!

Oma’s Lasagna
Meaty sauce layer
Sauce
1 Pkg of ground meat
1 lg can crushed tomatoes
2 T or more oregano
2 T basil
salt & pepper
1 Lg chopped onion
1 T minced garlic
1/2 cup red wine (rinse out the tomato can) with it
chopped mushrooms if you like
-

Cheese layer & noodles
1 container ricotta cheese
2 large eggs beat into the ricotta to make a paste
grated Parmesan, Romano and shredded mozzarella
2 pkg ready to use no boiling first lasagna noodles
In a large pot, brown the meat first. Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook on low heat for 45 minutes stirring often so it doesn’t burn.
In a lasagna pan, put a layer of sauce first then the noodles then the ricotta and cheeses. Continue layering until almost full. Finish with mozzarella cheese. Cover through first 1/2 of baking with a sheet of foil sprayed with cooking spray so it doesn’t stick to the cheese.
Uncover through last 1/2 of cooking. Total time will be about an hour at 350.
Let sit a good 1/2 hour or 45 minutes so cutting will be good.


No comments: